Sunday, November 9, 2008

Is effort a myth?

I've read this particular post by Seth Godin a few times now, and each time I debate. I debate whether those 120 minutes I will cut out will increase or decrease my happiness. I debate whether creating theses plans goes against "living in the moment".

Over the past 3 months of exchange, I hadn't thought about life back in Vancouver. I was happy in my little Spanish bubble. It had certain repercussions that I'm not too happy about, but overall, I felt it was what I needed, and it sure felt damn good. But then I had a major blast from the past- I went on a trip to Ireland and London, and within 2 days saw 3 very close people to me. When I came back to Barcelona, I called up another friend, with whom I hadn't spoken over the phone yet. And now, we have a friend visiting us for a few days. All in all, life from outside the bubble has been hitting me pretty hard in the face, and it's time to realize that I can't pretend it's not there anymore.

Every time I ask myself what I want, I always say that I will just put my back into it and push myself for 2 years to get my CA. And every time, I question it. With the economy being crap now, it seems smart. And, for fucks sake, is that so wrong? Yes, I can work somewhere else. Will it be more exciting? Possibly. Will it be more hands-on? Probably. Will less people criticize it? Undoubtedly. Will I think it's a better decision? Who knows. Maybe in the short run. In the long-run, there is probably no difference. Either way, I have to be a rockstar at whatever I do, because it's not the job description that determines the outcome, but it's the person doing the job. Do I want to be a rockstar accountant? Common now, I even scoffed at that. It's not me. BUT I do want to be a rockstar businesswoman.

So what is so bad about going from the bottom up and pushing every step of the way?

Am I being chicken-shit? Maybe. But to prove to myself I'm not, I will take up any idea that I have, alongside doing what I'm doing now. Maybe it will mean less sleep. Maybe it will mean different work arrangements. Maybe in a year I will give up. BUT I will not back down because it seems like I should. If something amazing comes up, I will go for it. In the mean time, time to work hard and learn more than ever, and then some.

And why the need to post this here? Well, there's a lot to be said about external commitment, and I sure know it goes a long way for me. So this is my commitment. And please oh please, keep me to it!

In the mean time, this blog will be a testament of all things related. Inspired by this lovely lady (whom I HIGHLY recommend you follow), I want to share my thoughts, because I truly believe there is never enough opinions and experiences to learn from.

And why just being? Well, that's a longer story to come...

No comments: